It is very common to have uneven skin tone and dark spots on your face. There are many reasons why anyone would have hyperpigmentation or dark spots on their face. These reasons include long hours of sun exposure, acne, and melasma-prone skin. These dark spots can often lead to embarrassment. There are a lot of products available on the market to treat hyperpigmentation, but why use chemicals on your face when you can easily opt for natural home remedies as per wellhealthorganic.com:lemon-juice-know-home-remedies-easily-remove-dark-spots
Are you tired of using unnatural amounts of makeup to cover up these uneven dark spots? Look no further, we have got you covered with tips and tricks and many home remedies to solve your skin-related problems. There are a lot of natural ways to treat dark spots like lemon juice, buttermilk, aloe vera, tomatoes, etc. In this blog, we will talk about the use of lemon juice to treat and remove dark spots in detail.
Lemon juice is effective in exfoliating skin and reducing the appearance of dark spots due to the citric acid present in it. It is one of the most effective ways to brighten up your skin. There are numerous remedies with respect to using lemon juice on the skin, and different ways to apply and mix it with other ingredients to make a new formula to help reduce dark spots on the face significantly. We will understand every remedy in detail. Keep scrolling to find out which remedies suit you the best!
How does lemon juice effectively remove dark spots? wellhealthorganic.com:lemon-juice-know-home-remedies-easily-remove-dark-spots
Lemon juice is considered a very good natural alternative to remove hyperpigmentation and uneven dark spots on the face. There are numerous ways in which we can use lemon juice effectively to obtain optimal results. Following are a few reasons why lemon juice is effective in removing dark spots:
- Natural bleaching agent
Lemon juice has citric acid in it which makes it a natural bleaching agent. This helps in achieving an even skin tone and lightening darkened areas. Using lemon juice also helps in exfoliating the skin, which removes dead skin cells and leaves a fresh layer of skin underneath.
- Anti-inflammatory properties
As lemon juice has anti-inflammatory properties, it helps reduce the redness associated with dark spots and uneven skin texture. Over time, the use of lemon juice may gradually reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin C
Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals. Vitamin C also helps in promoting collagen production in the skin, which ensures the skin’s elasticity is tight. Vitamin C is a famous ingredient in all skincare products used for reducing dark spots, and lemon juice has lots of vitamin C.
- Antibacterial properties
Due to its antibacterial properties, lemon juice is effective in preventing infections and reducing the risk of acne breakouts. Usually, infections and post-acne marks are the main reasons for dark spots.
Due to the above-mentioned reasons, lemon juice is one of the most suitable options to reduce the appearance of dark spots, as a natural home remedy ingredient. You just have to take a lemon, cut it in half, squeeze some juice, and apply it to the affected areas. You can also dilute it with water or mix it with other ingredients. Be careful by do a patch test on your skin to see if it suits you or not. Let’s discuss in detail below the different ways in which we can use lemon juice with natural ingredients available at home.
Natural ways of using lemon juice to remove dark spots at home wellhealthorganic.com:lemon-juice-know-home-remedies-easily-remove-dark-spots
One of the easiest ways to use lemon juice to reduce dark spots is to take a lemon, cut it in half, and squeeze it to extract the juice. Use the juice as it is or dilute it with some water and apply it to the areas where there are dark spots. Keep for a few minutes and rinse off with cold water. You will see the results of your skin brightening in a few weeks.
Although this is the easiest method, the direct application of lemon juice may not suit each skin type as it is quite strong. We can dilute the lemon with other natural ingredients to tone down the harshness.
Lemon and honey
As honey has powerful antibacterial properties and is gentle on the skin, mixing it with lemon juice works really well. Take a spoonful of honey and mix it with lemon juice. Apply the mixture to the face and leave for 15-20 minutes to achieve skin brightening. Rinse with cold water and pat dry to see the results.
If you experience a burning sensation or any type of itchiness, stop using it immediately.
Turmeric and lemon juice
Turmeric is a traditional antioxidant used to treat inflammation. It is also great for treating dark spots. Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to create a paste. Apply the mixture on the dark spots area and leave for a few minutes. Wash with warm water. Try to use this process only once a week.
Coconut oil and lemon juice
As a form of natural moisturiser, coconut works really well. It also helps in protecting and soothing the skin. Mix the coconut oil and lemon juice in equal proportions and apply on the affected area.
People with oily skin type should use it carefully as coconut oil is comedogenic and can clog pores resulting in acne outbreak and textured skin.
Lemon and sugar scrub
Scrubs are usually good for exfoliating skin. Rather than investing in a chemical scrub you can make natural scrubs at home using sugar and lemon juice. Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 spoons of granulated sugar. Gently massage the areas with dark spots and leave it for a few minutes. Wash it off with cold water. Do this process once or twice a week. This scrub can be used in any part of the body with dark patches.
Lemon juice and cucumber
Cucumber helps in tightening pores and reduce the appearance of dark spots as it is a natural astringent. Using grated cucumber and mixing it with lemon juice creates a cooling and exfoliating scrub. Rinse the mixture off with lukewarm water and pat dry very gently. To get the best results use it thrice a week.
Yoghurt and lemon juice
The use of probiotics really helps in improving the health of the skin and yoghurt is a great natural source of probiotics. Using yoghurt and lemon juice may get you great results in the reduction of dark spots. Mix in equal quantities and apply to the affected areas. Rinse off after a few minutes. Repeat this once every few days.
Lemon juice and tomato
As a natural source of lycopene, tomatoes are a great form of antioxidant which help in protecting skin barriers from damage. Lemon juice helps in lightening and tomato juice helps in damage protection and healing. Mixing their juices together and applying them on the affected skin creates a natural mask to reduce dark spots.
Lemon juice and baking soda
Baking soda is a good ingredient to brighten skin up as it is a natural exfoliant that helps in removing dead skin cells and renews the skin. Mixing baking soda and lemon juice in equal proportions to make a paste and using it on the affected hyperpigmented area helps in reducing dark spots. It should only be applied for 1 minute before rinsing and should be used only once a week as it can be quite strong and harsh on the skin.
Lemon juice makes your skin more sensitive to the sun because it can be photosensitising. Prolonged exposure to the sun after the use of lemon juice on the skin is not advisable. Make sure to do a patch test before trying out any of the above-mentioned remedies on your skin, because if not used correctly it can further darken or damage the affected area.
Also, Read More: How to Build Muscle, Tips and Tricks to Increase Muscle
Other alternative home remedies for dark spots
As established earlier, lemon juice can be a bit harsh for certain skin types. It is easy and effective but should be used in moderation. If lemon juice does not suit your skin type, we will tell you about other ingredients or remedies which are natural and easily available in home that may give you the same effect of dark spot reduction as lemon juice
These other home remedies include:
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera is a natural antioxidant which helps in healing the skin and protects it from damage. It is also good in giving moisture and soothing effect to skin which can reduce darkness.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C, which really help in lightening the dark patches on the skin. They are a good source of lycopene, which is an antioxidant used for skin damage protection.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk helps in exfoliating the dark areas on the skin because it is rich in lactic acid. Applying buttermilk on the skin helps in darkness and pigment reduction.
Precautions to consider while using lemon juice
Using lemon juice on the skin is a great natural remedy to remove dark spots on the skin. Rich in citric acid, lemon juice helps in exfoliating the skin which removes the dead cells and gives freshly renewed skin. But as it is a bit harsh ingredient it is important to take certain precautions while using lemon juice. Otherwise, it can lead to dryness, itchiness and sensitivity.
Following are the precautions to keep in mind while using lemon juice on the skin:
- Always do a patch test of using lemon juice on any area of skin and wait for 24 hours to see if any kind of irritation develops
- You must avoid the use of lemon juice on open cuts and wounds as it can further irritate those areas causing more damage
- As lemon juice is very acidic, it is always advised to dilute it with some water rather than directly applying it on the skin
- Lemon juice has photosensitising properties which makes your skin extremely sensitive to the sun. So it is imperative to wear sunscreen on your body while you are using the lemon juice remedies on your skin.
- If any redness or dryness persists, you must stop the use of lemon juice on your skin immediately.
Keep these precautions in consideration to protect yourself from any negative effects of lemon juice.
Following are some additional tips regarding the use of lemon juice on your skin and other skin-brightening solutions:
- Make sure to only use fresh lemon juice as a part of the above-mentioned remedies.
- As a precaution to not get sun exposure, apply lemon juice at night and make sure to rinse it off thoroughly.
- As lemon juice can be a bit drying to the skin, always moisturise to get the best results for your skin.
- Getting enough sleep and maintaining a healthy diet along with exercising regularly is also important to get optimal results. Drink water and keep yourself hydrated.
- Be patient about the outcome as lemon juice can not give you overnight results. Be consistent with your routine.
- Always make sure to wear sunscreen even if you are not going outside and if you experience any kind of dryness or irritation stop these remedies.
Pros and cons of using lemon juice
- Lemon juice is rich in vitamin c and citric acid which makes it a natural ingredient used for skin lightening
- It can help in reducing the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
- It is a good form of natural exfoliator which helps in removing dead skin cells
- Lemon juice is cheap, easily available and very simple to use
- Lemon juice can make you very sensitive to the sun which can result in more sun damage to the skin
- It can lead to skin dryness and itching
- If you have a sensitive skin type, lemon juice may not be the best ingredient for you as it can cause irritation
- Lemon juice is only a temporary fix for decreasing dark spots
Lemon juice is a good natural ingredient to easily remove dark spots or hyperpigmentation on the skin. It exfoliates and removes the dead skin cells. It evens out the bumpy skin texture and gives you a fresh look. Lemon juice is high in antioxidants and rich in vitamin c which are great for reducing and lightening the dark spots on the skin.